ProLabNL’s test facilities are reliable and support fast and cost effective technology qualification. At this moment the qualification testing of a novel Compact Subsea Separation System for a large oil company is ongoing at ProLabNL.
The main objectives of qualification projects are typically:
- The verification of proper operational performance under realistic conditions
- The formulation of generally applicable design rules for a wide change of operating conditions
Three different important activities are necessary to reach these objectives:
- Large scale test under realistic conditions (full hydrocarbon, high pressure)
- Visualization of internal phenomena with various model oils under atmospheric conditions to enable thorough verification of CFD modelling results
- Fluid properties characterisation
Visualisation test with model oils
Results from high pressure testing and CFD modelling are correlated with results from a visually accessible test vessel of exact same dimensions. Critical physical phenomena can be identified and modeled in this manner by using model oils.
Fluid properties characterisation
It is of crucial importance that the emulsion properties and physical characteristics of the fluids that are used in the two flow loops are known. ProlabNL has a fluid characterisation laboratory onsite for these activities.
Accelerated qualification of a deep water subsea separation system in 3 phases:
- Analytical design work
- CFD Modeling
- Flow visualization
- Large scale model fluid and sand tests
- Large scale HP live hydrocarbon tests
To read more about the deep water subsea separator system qualification, please see the poster below: